For most of my life, I dreaded winter. It’s cold, it’s dark, it’s seasonally depressing. But! Last year, something clicked, and I finally figured out how to lean into the coziness. Small things made the biggest difference, and now I’m actually looking forward to the colder months. (Believe me, no one is more shocked than I am.)
Here is my five-pronged approach:
1. Get out alllll the cozy blankets. (This striped beauty is made with 100% lambswool.) We drape them over our beds and sofas, and almost any time of day you can find a family member wrapped up in one.
2. Climb into the softest bedding. We spend lots of time in bed — reading books, watching movies, cuddling one kid or another, and of course sleeping. We’ve tried many different bedding brands through the years, and the absolute comfiest we’ve found is Brooklinen. We start with their luxe sateen sheets, which have a buttery smooth weave and slightly luminous finish. And then we add the heather cashmere duvet cover and pillow cases, which are breathable, lightweight and unbelievably soft. The combination is beyond comfortable.
3. In the winter, we set up a bedroom scent station (with the help of eight-year-old Anton). We light incense and candles; this one smells like a cabin in the woods.
4. Years ago, Alex taught me about sun lamps — have you ever tried one? The white light helps your body adjust to darker days, and you can actually feel your mood brightening.
5. Lastly, in the winter, we switch from a lighter comforter to a thicker, super luxurious one. Our bed feels like a hotel!
How do you create a comfy space in the winter?
(Photography by Christine Han and styling by Veronica Olson for Cup of Jo. This post is sponsored by Brooklinen, a brand who we have used and loved for years. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Cup of Jo.)